Friday 26 October 2012

Because It's Worth It - Bistrot Bruno Loubet


The first time I walked into Bistrot Bruno Loubet, it was a Tuesday lunchtime, around noon. The man himself was in the kitchen, in his whites. A good sign. I had offered to "research" venues for a work Christmas lunch, and was nobly pounding the streets looking for a suitable place, perhaps sampling here and there as I went. They didn't have room for us for our lunch, but I decided to sit at the bar and order a little cheeky lunch of my own, while I was there. I am not the kind of person to whom solo dining comes naturally, but from the start I could not have felt more comfortable. Second good sign. Anyway I love sitting at the bar. Service always seems to be better because you can always attract someone's attention. Not wanting to overdo the whole treating-myself-for-no-reason thing, I skipped the tempting starters and stuck to a main course, with a glass of wine as a condiment. Choosing from the menu was agonising, but I plumped for a seafood cannelloni, and resolved to return many times. They brought me the bread, which is up there with the best restaurant bread I have ever eaten, the onion bread in particular. The good signs were piling up. Being a solo diner I got a whole basket of it to myself. The cannelloni was delicious, a great dish perfectly cooked, as they might say on Masterchef. Afterwards I had a coffee, which came with a little chocolate, and the bill came to less than £30, for what had felt like an utterly luxurious and stolen lunch.

Since then I have been back, both solo and accompanied, to sample the Hare Royale and other things I had missed on that first visit, and have never left disappointed. Recently the menu was overhauled, which gave me the excuse I needed to write a blog post about it. A dinner for four was arranged, and as expected, every dish was delicious, with the possible exception of an ever-so-slightly dry flourless chocolate cake. Wonderful bread as usual, incredible guinea-fowl Boudin Blanc in a small Garbure soup, braised oxtail, saddle of hare. (Sounds good, right? It is.) Mashed potato that is done in that proper way I never seem to manage at home. Tonka bean crème brûlée. I had been slightly nervous going in as I had raved about the place so much to my companions, who had never been before, but I shouldn’t have worried. The place is a banker. The good kind of banker.

I have no idea whether Bistrot Bruno Loubet has a Michelin star or not, and I don't care. I get the impression that the owners care much more about customers having an enjoyable time than they do about any Michelinigans. What I do know is that the value is outstanding. It is not a cheap restaurant, but for the quality of cooking, atmosphere, and service, I struggle to think of where you can get better value for money for this kind of meal. It is fancy and luxurious, but not at all stuffy, quite relaxed in atmosphere. It feels like the owners have really tried to make it the kind of place they would like to go to themselves. When you want a really nice, table-clothy kind of meal, without having to pay through the nose for it, and you don’t want to travel too far, this is the place. Or if you are just passing by yourself at lunchtime, you could always pop in and treat yourself. I won’t say "because you’re worth it". That would be cheesy. I’ll just say that Bistrot Bruno Loubet is.


Bistrot Bruno Loubet
St John’s Square
86-88 Clerkenwell Road
London EC1M 5RJ
http://www.bistrotbrunoloubet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment