Monday 25 June 2012

Sliders At The Exmouth Arms

As a fan of the burgeoning craft beer revolution – with its variety, discoveries, delicious beers, and anti-corporate undertones – I can only applaud when a transformation such as the recent Exmouth Arms revamp occurs. While a part of me is sad to see the old ‘Postman’s Pub’ go the way of so many old boozers, the new version is a wonderful pub, with nice unpretentious decor, an excellent beer selection and high quality pub food. Islington has too few such places, but they are growing. I will blog more extensively on the subject of craft beer and real ale in Islington as time and my liver allow. This little post is all about the food.

The food offering here is based around sliders, which, for those who don’t know, are small hamburgers. I must say I'm not really a convert to the whole slider thing. I suppose the advantage is variety - it's like a burger tasting menu. My objection to sliders as a concept is the same as my problem with tasting menus in fancy restaurants - when I taste something really good I want more than a slider's worth, or more than is generally on offer in a tasting menu. These caveats aside the sliders at the Exmouth Arms are very good, better for example than those at nearby Giant Robot. They have a pleasing egg-wash glaze on the buns and so are photogenic enough for passing food bloggers. The menu descriptions are enticing and a selection of 3 for £5.95 is good value. Breakfast sliders are also available, of which more later (in my forthcoming post on pub breakfasts - someone's got to do it). Sliders, despite my slightly disparaging comments, are nice beer snacks for sharing and also make excellent meals for children. I have visited at lunchtime with kids in tow, enjoyed a cheeky beer while doing my parental duty by the little blighters at the same time, all sat in the sunshine outside and watching the trendy Exmouth Market err .. people .. go by.

For the serious foodie (or plain greedy bastard) 'James's Pulled Pork Burger' is the better option - not just pulled pork but a regular burger, nicely bunned up, with pulled pork on top and some kind of ‘special sauce’ inside. Incredibly messy to eat, which is always a good sign. If you are never seen with meat juices and condiments dribbling down your chin then I'm not sure I want to be in your company. Beer-wise, as noted, there is an excellent selection of craft/real/insert-preferred-term ale available for the discerning on cask, keg and bottle, including a few Nogne Ø in bottles for scandophiles like me. The quality beers really do go well with the food. The pulled pork burger went excellently with a pleasing pint of Oakham Ales' cutely named 'Water of Forgetfulness'. In all this place is a superb addition to Exmouth Market and a lovely option for a pint or a bite to eat.





The Exmouth Arms
23 Exmouth Market
London EC1R 4QL

@ExmouthArms

No comments:

Post a Comment